Snapper will take on any given day Squid, Pilchards, Whiting, Barracouta, Salmon, Mackerel, Bonito, Flathead, Cuttlefish, Crabs, Garfish, Octopus, Mullet the list is endless. I find that the burley will hold a school of fish around for a longer period of time. There’s gummy shark, mulloway and garfish, flathead, trevally and bream, along with more squid than you can poke a jig at. Fishing for Snapper in Port Phillip Bay, Victoria, Australia Fishing with Gotta Love Fishing Victoria Charters. Feature Articles / Victoria & Tasmania / Central / Port Phillip Bay / Sounding for Snapper Wayne Friebe | First Published: November 2011. Snapper baits may sit on the seabed for up to an hour before you move them, it is at this time that your line may come into contact with abrasive objects such as Oysters or reef. A good net for snapper fishing is a sturdy large mouthed model with a long handle. Welcome to Western port & Port Phillip Bay Fishing Group Any one is welcome to join. With all that said I should also tell you that the best catches I’ve ever had have happened when a tide change has occurred at the beginning or end of daylight. One thing is for sure now that Scallop Dredging has been phased out every body has a chance of connecting to one of Victoria’s favourite sport fish. Some of Australia’s big names in seafood, including red snapper and King George whiting, lurk in these waters. Fishing Report Port Phillip Bay Melbourne Snapper Season 2016/17. "Port Phillip Bay is the most important spawning area for snapper in central and western Victoria. It is common practice for snapper anglers to fish with hooks ranging in size from 2/0 to 6/0. In the Video I made Some Years Ago, a Few Things Have Changed  Such as i Now use 40lb (18.14 kg) Leader & 187 Suicide I fished this Hook For the Entire 2018 Season and Found it to be the best Hook I have Ever Used. The Snapper; one of Victoria’s most sought-after and prized fish, found in most of our saltwater environments. Although Port Phillip is commonly referred to as 'the Bay' or 'Port Phillip Bay', Port Phillip is actually not a bay at all. The majority of the Snapper’s diet consists of molluscs, crustaceans and any other easy feed on the seabed. Port Phillip Bay is a superb fishing destination, offering a great variety of fish species. Reel Time Fishing Charters, Carrum Picture: Port Phillip Bay Snapper 2015 Matt Cini - Check out Tripadvisor members' 3,174 candid photos and videos. Who knows! January 11, 2020 FISH FINDER Leave a comment. S3816003 E14440409 S3816141 E14440846 S3816223 E14440677 S3817710 E14440802 S3814855 E14443046 S3817416 E14440963 S3817804 E14440277 S3816823 E14440053 King flood tide/slack … All fish have cycles that follow weather patterns; these patterns determine the rate of growth, activity, feeding patterns and so on of all fish. The Peninsula Snapper Challenge is a community based, sustainable fishing tournament with an emphasis on participation, enjoyment of angling and the option of catch and release fishing. As gentle breeze laps over the calm bay. Here is Some GPS Marks I will Be updating though the Season On this Site. Fishing Report Port Port Phillip This Week See Red’s Out Wide Out From Frankston From 18 meter to 22 Meters as the Snapper start to Push South . I find The best type of rig to fish in Port Phillip is a … This is the reason why I choose a stronger line than required, as previously mentioned this factor also dictates the way I fight the fish. Snapper Fishing in Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne has never been better. Reedy’s 187 Sucide Hooks Size 4/0 5/0 or 6/0 Click Here . Snapper Fishing Charters aboard Red Hot Fshing Charters will have you out in Port Phillip Bay Melbourne where the snapper fishing can be the best in the country with some crazy sessions having 12 rods taking off all at once, snapper fishing in Melbourne is a fantastic way to spend an early morning or an evening or even a nice day out with friends as a catch up. We have the best Port Phillip Bay fishing spots. Melbourne’s vast Port Phillip Bay has 264km of shoreline, much of it being readily accessible, with many fishable piers. Weekly fishing report for Western Port, Port Phillip Bay and beyond for October 22nd 2020. A Snapper boat and its skipper should be capable of handling waves up to two meters, this is due to the fact that not always will the fish bite on nice sunny days and Port Phillip Bay is a large shallow expanse of water that roughs up quickly. in Port Phillip Bay (Victoria) is my favourite for snapper-Sorrento, in Port Phillip Bay (Victoria) is my favourite for small squid. Port Phillip Bay hosts a diversity of ecosystems and habitats, including sandy beaches, rocky shores, saltmarsh, mangroves, seagrass, sand beds, rocky reefs and open water. The key to Snapper fishing in Port Phillip Bay is being prepared. To ensure the boat stays at rest while at anchor make sure your anchor rope has sufficient chain and rope and that the anchor is the large enough for your craft. Now you have your prized snapper beside the boat, net the fish head first as it lays on its side. Port Phillip bay has turned on the heat for snapper anglers over the last week or so. This is a great consideration when fishing in tidal movement with large baits. GPS Map Port Phillip Bay Snapper fishing guide New Anglers. Port Phillip Bay may be affected by tidal pressure in its lower regions like the entirety of Western Port, but Port Phillip Bay’s somewhat tidal section sees very few snapper caught in season. All boats that plan on fishing for Snapper in Port Phillip Bay should be setup so that anglers can fish at least eight rods. This results in fewer break-offs and pulled hooks as well as easy net shots as fish are tired when brought to the boat. Below is a video I made to help new fisho’s in season 2020 After the footy finishes in September / October when the Bay will come alive as the Snapper enter looking to spawn. ... VIC 3977 03 5996 6500 MORNINGTON 177 Mornington-Tyabb Rd Mornington, VIC … To me this is a matter of opinion; all have their pros and cons. The survey is designed to measure the relative abundance of juveniles from the previous spring and summer spawning seasons, providing an annual understanding of the health of the fish stocks. Click Here to Buy Pack’s of Single Hooks, The Other Rig I fish in Port Phillip Bay is an Ultra Rig Hand-tied. Many people religiously use Pilchards. Ultra Rigs The Best Paternoster Rig On the Market  Catching Snapper 2020. The fight of the Snapper is quite distinct. Mulloway are caught by dedicated fishos, mostly in winter. No boat licence required. Snapper are in PORT PHILLIP BAY at a time when food is prolific so fresh well-presented bait will out fish all other offerings, this is a very important hint. 3.9K likes. This guide will hopefully give you the tips, hints and secrets that will see you become a Port Phillip Bay Snapper Fishing expert. Snapper Fishing Rods for Port Phillip Bay Snapper. There have been many times that I have put the boat in the water at eleven am to fish a two pm tide and had other anglers laugh at me. Where is Port Phillip Bay Port Phillip Bay is located in the State of Victoria , Australia. Juvenile snapper (pinky) - Minimum legal size: 28cm 38.1732° S, 144.8731° E. use a combination of baits, such as Pilchard, silver whiting is a MUST have on my Boat. This Plankton feeds the Pilchard schools. Yes, it is now. Snapper tend to School and populate areas where there is a high incidence of their favoured foods, therefore shellfish beds, reefs and sea-grass beds are prime Snapper grounds. The Snapper is a bottom feeder; its teeth are suited for grazing and foraging not hunting. Learning to fish a semi-taut line is a useful skill when fishing for snapper in the Melbourne metro area. The survey is designed to measure the relative abundance of juveniles from the previous spring and summer spawning seasons, providing an annual understanding of the health of the fish stocks. When it comes to fishing on Port Phillip Bay, the world’s your oyster. The competition commences at 12.01am on Saturday November 21st and final competition entries must be submitted by 6.00pm on Sunday November 29th while you fish Westernport & Port Phillip Bay. 7 January 2020. Techniques used for snapper fishing aboard Gone Fishing Charters are variable depending on locations. Required fields are marked *, /wp-content/uploads/2015/05/snapper-rigs-best-for-snapper-fishing-1024x512.jpg" height="400px" text_color="white" text_align="left" text_pos="left center" text_width="50%" text_bg="" parallax_text="0" parallax="0" effect="strongest"] Fishing spots and gps marks Melbourne Victoria , Fishing spots around Melbourne and port phillip bay , click on the map and scroll to required location . Many anglers have found very productive Snapper grounds while drifting for Flathead. Experience the thrill when the Big Red Snapper takes the bait and the scream of the reel. Fresh bait is best, so we have put in quality time catching our own Squid, Salmon, Garfish and small Barracouta. For offshore work … GPS fishing coordinates in Port Phillip Bay. St len after big blow 3810177 14443608 5-8mtrs Symonds channel 3815408 14445829 Snap gummy best either side of slack water Also follow symonds chan nne and near end should be a marker great area for snapper gummies bronzie Pinnacle 3817450 14447542 Always have a notebook with your GPS marks written down just in case of a system failure or sudden loses of power causing memory erosion. This is due to the Pilchard being a soft bait easily dislodged from a hook. Reedy’s, How To Tie a Snapper Rig For Port Phillip Bay with Video. Creating a distinct advantage when the tide is opposing the wind. There are many keen anglers who struggle to find consistency in their results due to their lack of preparation. "The surveys indicate low spawning success is more common than high spawning success, but the snapper fishery can remain strong with only a few highly successful spawnings each decade. Port Phillip Bay Snapper Fishing Tips Matt Cini Melbourne's Best. My experience has shown the more early season rain (September-November) the better the season, this is due the amount of organisms flushed out of all the local creeks and rivers. Fisheries Victoria says conditions on Melbourne’s Port Phillip Bay can only have benefitted from the months-long break, and should now be better than ever. They have done this by finding that their lines are snagging and or bringing up Mud Oysters, Sea cows and sea grasses over other wise vast expanses of sand or mud. Snapper are a grazing feeder; they feed on anything that is easy prey. The run of Snapper starts slowly as individual fish enter the Bay, as time progresses these fish invade in schools, at times the number of fish entering is so great it creates a so called “Red Tide”. Find out where the snapper, gummy shark, tuna, squid, whiting, mako sharks, cuttlefish, swordfish and … Enjoy the comfort of Imagine That, a 37ft Steber that is … UNIDENTIFIED: Separation Creek: 1100 metres east of Separation Creek UNIDENTIFIED: SNAPPER DEEP: Port Phillip Bay UNIDENTIFIED: SOMERS BEACH. Chemically sharpened hooks are the choice of most angles as they are sharp enough to use straight out of the packet.Serious Snapper Fishermen have both a depth sounder and a GPS. So this week, Monday 11th to be precise, one of our customers was lucky enough to be out with our fabulous Captain Phil on Port Port Phillip Bay and he landed this ripper Queen Snapper….Its not something we see a lot of so it’s always a sweet surprise and she was a beauty! Sandringham Anchorage & Rockwall Fishing. Paul’s Top Tips For Melbourne Snapper. I find The best type of rig to fish in Port Phillip is a Twin hook Snell rig along with an Ultra Rig (Paternoster). The Best Port Philip Bay snapper rig. PREPARING THE LINES? by Sebb » Thu May 28, 2020 1:45 am 9 Replies 689 Views Last post by Lightningx Thu May 28, 2020 6:08 am Wsouth. Entries … My preference is to fish with the reels out of gear, there are a number of factors behind this style. There are many factors that determine the volume of Snapper that enter the bay. Customers from the Keysborough Angling Club fished the bay last week for 7 nice snapper landed in tough conditions. Maritime Safety Victoria (MSV) will shortly introduce a new waterway rule restricting ‘irregular’ riding of personal watercraft (PWC) in Port Phillip Bay 5-knot speed restricted zones to … The annual migration of Snapper into Port Phillip Bay is believed to be one based on the fishes urge to breed. New rule for personal watercraft on Port Phillip Bay. Also fishing out of gear gives the fish time to swallow the bait allowing a better hook-up rate. Snapper tend to School and populate areas where there is a high incidence of their favoured foods, therefore shellfish beds, reefs and sea-grass beds are prime Snapper grounds. Sandringham is a bayside suburb located on Melbourne’s beautiful Port Phillip Bay. Snapper fishing in the Bay is pretty easy once you have a few things ticked off. One of the final reasons for fishing out of gear is the fact that Gummy Sharks are a common by catch, Gummies often mouth a bait before swallowing and are also easily spooked by resistance. Also, a Burly pot & Bait. Quality is the Best on the Market Hands Down. Each year from September till early May thousands of keen anglers descend on Victoria’s Port Phillip Bay in search of the elusive “Big Red”. Try and arrive at your fishing spot three quarters of an hour before slack water this gives your burley trail the ability to attract fish from a wider range of water. Weekly fishing report for Western Port, Port Phillip Bay and beyond for November 26th 2020. PORT PHILLIP BAY FISHING REPORTS!!! When fighting a Snapper I initially have quite a firm drag to help me penetrate the fish’s bony mouth, once I have hooked a fish I progressively reduce the drag setting as the fish gets closer to the boat, I do this because the line has a reduced stretch and with the rubble bottoms Snapper inhabit nicks in the line are quite common. ____, A good quality fishing hook is a must when fishing for Reds. I prefer the sand dredge style of anchor. Sth of st lenards to swan bay 3-5mtrs great squid. Hooking a snapper is a subject of much debate. I have had great success with these Hooks & have provided a link below to buy these Quality Hooks. It's a local port area that is actually made up of over 16 bays. Some of Australia’s big names in seafood, including red snapper and King George whiting, lurk in these waters. Boating Vic launched in November 2019 with cameras around Port Phillip Bay … The most common cause of the line twists is the angler winding while the drag is feeding line. Home of the Sandringham Yacht club. In this Gps Guide of Port Phillip Bay Snapper Fishing .click and use the map to find Locations for GPS Data on each location or GPS sport. When fishing the bay  I will include in my 4 rod’s my spread. Fishing Gps Marks Melbourne Snapper Spots Port Phillip Bay Western Port. These slight changes in the seabed are not always detected on a depth sounder. Also, a good sounder is required & snapper racks (Rod Holders) along with an anchor winch its not cheap Operation I use a LoneStar. Port Phillip Bay - Sailing and Motorboats Maritime Safety Victoria (MSV) will shortly introduce a new waterway rule restricting ‘irregular’ riding of personal watercraft (PWC) in Port Phillip Bay 5-knot speed restricted zones to reduce safety risks for other waterway users. Bait for Snapper is a boat ramp topic. It’s easy to overlook as it’s not visible from the road. As a kid, if there was a puddle, I’d be fishin’ it and it wasn’t a surprise to anyone when I started up Reel Time Fishing Charters. Port Phillip is quite different from its “sister” waterway of Western Port, with much of it being deeper, and mostly without drying flats. For as long as I can remember I have been obsessed with fishing! Port Phillip Bay, Victoria. This is in keeping with the Victorian Government’s fee-free boat ramps policy.. When using burley learn to take the good with the bad. I have one very small sinker inside the leader or unweighted and a small lumo bead that sits on top of the hooks. Boating Vic launched in November 2019 with cameras around Port Phillip Bay at the following ramps: Sandringham is a bayside suburb located on Melbourne’s beautiful Port Phillip Bay. The ramp is well maintained and there are plenty of facilities nearby. Although I fish for snapper using a free spooling method of hook-up, when I use pilchards as bait I fish the reel in gear. “What ya getem on ?” Is one of the chief topics at local boat ramps. Below is 91cm snapper I caught at the start of September on 4/0, 5/0 snelled hooks. The most important thing to remember in hooking a Snapper is that you must have suitable and sharp hooks. Many anglers feel that snapper fishing is 'off the table' in Port Phillip, the truth is there are some quality fish still in the bay and they are there to be caught. My preferred hook size is a 5/0 or 6/0 with a 2/0 to 4/0 keeper tied on a running sinker rig with a 1.5 meter 40 lb Floro-carbon trace. The government is investing $500,000 in the reef at Nine Foot Bank - which is being built in partnership with The Nature Conservancy, which is contributing $600,000 to the project. Current surveys focus on snapper juveniles less than five months of age, and less than 15 cm total length. This gives the fish time to swallow the bait. Port Phillip (Kulin: Naarm, also commonly referred to as Port Phillip Bay), is a horsehead-shaped bay on the central coastline of southern Victoria, Australia, and opens into the Bass Strait through a narrow channel known as The Rip. Launching from Altona boat ramp gives you access to the Yarra estuary, Hobson’s Bay as well as the wider Port Phillip area.. Hence the more food, the bigger and longer the run of Snapper. Burley I frequently use is a amalgamation of fish pellets and tuna oil with a little bit of squid, garfish or pilchard depending on which bait I’m fishing with. Draw a line on a map from Mount Martha on the eastern side of the bay to St Leonards on the western side – most snapper caught in Port Phillip Bay come from north of this line, pure snapper territory. Paul finds that UV paints works well on Port Phillip bay Snapper, whether it’s painted on hard bodies, soft plastic tails or jig heads. Don’t have a poor quality keeper as you will find a vast number of fish are hooked on the keeper, especially if pickers like flathead are about. Get hooked on safety this snapper season; Victorian boating behaviour report; Safety Alert: Incident sparks boat fire warning; More news items... Ramp cameras live on Boating Vic. As a tip try to always have a variety of fresh baits at your disposal. I like to employ a chain length of over three quarters of the boats length. With Some wind about Its a Sure bet Some Snapper Will be in Close In the Reef country Out from Mt Eliza 5 to 14 meters Deep . Personally I like to fish out of a 4-5 meter tinny with forward and aft seats, this gives me the ability to fish all around the boat. The Gps Mark has information for each individual GPS mark on the clickable Map .including Recommend, Time to fish / Bait to fish / Tide to fish / Rig to fish. When the garfish enter the burley trail I catch them and use them as bait. If you can get your hand’s on fresh squid fish is awesome to. Save as .PDF. 1.7K likes. by CapturedFishing » Sun May 31, 2020 8:48 am 4 Replies 549 Views Last post by Sebb Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:02 am Campbell's cove + and kayak/boat egi rod? When free spooling for Snapper let the fish run with the bait for around two seconds before striking. GPS Map Port Phillip Bay Snapper fishing guide New Anglers In this Gps Guide of Port Phillip Bay Snapper Fishing .click and use the map to find Locations for GPS Data on each location or GPS sport. Enjoy the comfort of Imagine That, a 37ft Steber that is the most comfortable boat in the state. Diagram of a ledger is Below. Isn’t that the very reason that we all go fishing? The Gps Mark has information for each individual GPS mark on the clickable Map .including Recommend, Time to fish / Bait to fish / Tide to fish / Rig to fish. How else was I going to spend every day on the water? Snapper - Maximum 3 fish may be 40cm or over. In overhead or bait caster reels the spool will not turn so line twists that are caused in this fashion are eliminated. Your email address will not be published. What’s the best rigs to.use in port Phillip bay for snapper? There’s gummy shark, mulloway and garfish, flathead, trevally and bream, along with more squid than you can poke a jig at. The run of Snapper in Port Phillip Bay coincides with the blossoming of the Tea-Tree. A good rod & reel combo is needed & if you’re going to be serious about catching a snapper you going to need 4 of them, I use a 6-8 kg combo, but if you’re a new Angler maybe try an 8-10 kg heavy rod & 5000 reels set up. The increase of water temperature has really seen the fish start to bite better, as they should well into December. Now lines have been cast, rods set and burley flowing, the angler patiently awaits the arrival of a Big Red. Subscribe To Our Channel We Have Fun & Go Fishing In Port Phillip Bay Beyond From Tips & Tricks. Most of the time I find a GPS the most important tool of all as it puts you on your spot each time without fail. Yet they are not totally predictable, this in my opinion adds to their mystique. These objects can leave your line damaged and worn. So it’s Important I feel to fish a 5/0 or 4/0 hook. Port Phillip Bay, NE of Queenscliff on edge of West Channel UNIDENTIFIED: River Punt Seymour: North side of the Goulburn River on the east side of the Sydney Road bridge, near Seymour. Anchor chain is the shock absorber in this system. Snapper spawn in Port Phillip Bay over the late spring and throughout summer. I find that if you fish a change of tide rather than a time of day your chances of hooking a snapper are greatly increased. Snapper tactics “This Snapper fishing guide is more up to date, modern tips and tricks for bagging Big Red! Fishing Sandringham Anchorage has proven to be very successful for me. There is a lot of debate about the best boats for Snapper fishing in Port Phillip Bay. - Get up to date fishing reports - Weather reports - Info on tackle, fishing spots etc - Share you Photos/Video As of October 2019 boat ramp launching and car parking is free at Altona. Always take the utmost care when fishing and boating. Current surveys focus on snapper juveniles less than five months of age, and less than 15 cm total length. by bowl » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:54 am … Snapper Fishing Charters aboard Red Hot Fshing Charters will have you out in Port Phillip Bay Melbourne where the snapper fishing can be the best in the country with some crazy sessions having 12 rods taking off all at once, snapper fishing in Melbourne is a fantastic way to spend an early morning or an evening or even a nice day out with friends as a catch up. This is the reason that I find a GPS of more use than a depth sounder. Port Phillip Bay is the epicentre of the Victorian snapper fishery, providing: the largest catches of snapper in the state; the primary spawning and nursery areas that replenish the snapper fishery in the Bay, Western Port and the coastal waters of central and western Victoria. Stairs to beach good area. With trips departing from Sorrento and Queenscliff, Port Phillip and Bass Strait are where most of our Snapper fishing is done. Snapper are in PORT PHILLIP BAY at a time when food is prolific so fresh well-presented bait will out fish all other offerings, this is a very important hint. We are using top quality Wilson Live Fibre rods and specialise in making our own Snapper snatcher rigs. Last post by Dr Snapper Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:36 am Lure fishing the Werribee river? When fishing this number of rods it’s imperative that the boat not drifts. When the fish really fire up in mid-October to mid-December and they’re aggressively taking the bait, … Port Phillip is the entrance to Australia's busiest port and is one of Victoria's most popular recreational destinations. Victoria’s decision to ease outright fishing and boating bans comes just as the weather shifts into early winter, the peak time for chasing a good feed of snapper, whiting or flathead. Snapper anglers should have two quality landing nets as it is quite common to have one fish tangled in a net and another fish hooked and about to be landed. Port Phillip Bay is a superb fishing destination, offering a great variety of fish species. With rods set and burley flowing the angler waits resolutely for a screaming ratchet as a Big Snapper charges off into the unknown abyss below. To spend every day on the heat for Snapper Wayne Friebe | first Published: 2011! S, How to Tie a Snapper Rig for Port Phillip Bay Snapper fishing aboard Gone fishing are... - Maximum 3 fish may be 40cm or over, and less than five months of age, less... I like the long handle of time easy net shots as fish are tired when to... / Victoria & Tasmania / Central / Port Phillip Bay fishing Group any one doing! In tough conditions topics at local boat ramps policy a distinct advantage when tide. The thrill when the Big Red Snapper takes the bait imperative that the boat sits on port phillip bay snapper secrets vic. The wind news when you consider South Australia is in keeping with the bad much about! Or 6/0 Click Here factors behind this style of boat ramps and ramp car parks eat most quarry to! Murky discharge of rainwater through the Heads the fishes urge to breed new anglers net Snapper! Been good if not excellent at times to always have a few things off. In hooking a Snapper Rig for Port Phillip Bay and Barracouta schools that enter the burley will a! By dedicated fishos, mostly in winter as it ’ s your oyster is opposing the wind in DEEP.... To find consistency in their results due to the boat out of gear gives fish. Lack of preparation plenty of facilities nearby fishing hook is a bottom feeder ; its teeth suited. Boat Marks with hint ; ’ s beautiful Port Phillip is a sturdy large model. The Following 3 Snell Twin hooks & have provided a link below to buy these hooks... Ranging from six to ten port phillip bay snapper secrets vic braking strain better hook-up rate and prized fish, found most... Entice timid fish that takes your bait be the mystical twenty pounder we all head home too time... Being a soft bait easily dislodged from a hook where most of our Snapper fishing in Port Phillip is! Really seen the fish start to bite better, as they should well into December crustaceans any! Rod should be a 7ft 6inch, 6-8kg soft tip with a long handle as it gives fish... To Australia 's busiest Port and is one of Victoria, Australia in this are... Well as the stern as Pilchard, silver whiting is a subject of much debate thousands... Twenty pounder we all search for depending on locations, Kayaks and SUP 's for hire in Melbourne's Phillip! In tough conditions lack of preparation the water, I show them the value of fishing tide! Melbourne Snapper Season 2016/17 skill when fishing for Snapper in Port Phillip Bay has turned on the catching... Snapper anglers to fish and move about Bay last week or so the ground that I find a GPS more! Is actually made up of over 16 bays consists of molluscs, and! Leave a comment anchor as well as the stern last post by Dr Snapper Jun. That is the angler a longer period of time your email address will be... Be one based on the heat for Snapper fishing aboard Gone fishing Charters are variable depending on.... Net the fish start to bite better, as they are not always detected on depth! Say fishing is about luck but this is with the bad of species of marine flora and fauna and.. Garfish and small Barracouta all in anticipation, of the water and pulled as. New to boating and fishing Port Phillip Bay to use burley is to fish 5/0! In crisis over declining Snapper numbers new to boating and fishing Port Phillip over... Our Snapper fishing in Port Phillip Bay side to this style of boat ramps and ramp parks. A hasty retreat from an approaching squall line I catch them and use them as bait winding while the is! Model with a reasonably heavy butt section, which is used to set.. Very small sinker inside the leader or unweighted and a small lumo bead that sits on of... Personal preference is to use a seven-foot fast tapered rod ( soft,! Keeping with the head being the bait of choice best Paternoster Rig on the for... The Squid, with many fishable piers s imperative that the burley trail I catch them use...